It’s that time once again for:
The 33rd Annual Conrad Weiser Open
Disc Golf Tournament
Grab your discs and wash off those Wham-o’s, It’s time to rattle the chains with Conrad Weiser and smoke the piece pipe with Chief Shikellemy! On Saturday, September 21st 2013, the 33rd Conrad Weiser Open will be held rain or shine. The format will be two rounds of championship disc golf with the baskets in the short position the first round, and in the harder long position the 2nd round. There are 9 CTP’s and the ace pot included in your entry fee.
Sign ups are from 8 to 9:30am. Players meeting at 9:45 and teeing off at 10am.
Last years Champions,(Open: Justin Seersma, Masters: Bill Geibel, Grand Masters: Chas Ford, Advanced: Josh Mertz, Armature: Jon Hurst, and Women’s: Ky Stoebenau)will take on all challengers in this highly coveted event. Open, Masters, and Women’s divisions have a traveling trophy that the champion gets to have his name put on and keep for the entire year until they have to come back and defend it! The open trophy has names going all the way back to 1980.
Open Division is $30, all other divisions are $25. Open division plays for cash prizes and trophy. All other divisions play for prizes and trophies. Miller brewing Co. has again sponsored the tournament with some awesome prizes for our CTP’s and our ace pot. Bill Geibel will have disc golf merchandise for sale all day.
The Conrad Weiser Historical Park course is only set up for one day per year! Being a Historical park and designed by a famous landscape architect, a permanent course is not permitted. However, we have been playing this same beautiful park course for 33 years now! Come out and experience the tradition of this magnificent course that will test your skills!
The last 3 years this tournament has filled up, so if you plan on coming to this event either e-mail or call me with your name and division to be put on a list. I will post on the Conrad Weiser Homestead wants disc golf face book page the list of sign-ups and let everyone know how many spots are available.
Come and hang out with Chief Shikellemy and experience the tradition that this tournament has to offer!
Questions or to sign up: Mike Dunkle
Sunday, August 18, 2013
Tentative schedule for the day is:
Sign up at Buchmiller - 8-9
Round 1 at Buch
Round 2 at Ship Rock
If more than 72 players preregister, the field will be split with half the players starting at Ship Rock. If not, we’ll all travel together.
Pro Men - $45
Other Pros - $40
Advanced and Intermediate Ams - $35
All other Ams $30
($10 extra if you’re not a PDGA member)
This event will be run by Mr. Disc Golf, Mike Solt.
Registration is open for the fifth annual Akron Day in the Park.
June 22-23, 2013 at Roland Park
100% payout + $500 added cash to pro purse
June 22 - All Amateur Divisions Except MA1
June 23 - All Pro Divisions + MA1
2 Rounds of 18
Pro - $55 Advanced - $50 Intermediate - $40 Rec - $30
Schedule for both days:
Check-in: 7:30-8:45 AM
Players Meeting : 9:00 AM
Round 1 : 9:15AM
Round 2 : 1 hour after last card
The Akron Volunteer Fire Company will be offering lunch at the course. The CFR Fundraiser Discs we are selling benefit the Akron Volunteer fire company.
Preregister with Bill or Darrell, or online at: http://www.discgolfunited.com/disc-golf-tournaments/tournament-dashboard.cfm/tourn_id/803
On Thursdays from June 7 through July 18, we will hold our league night at Ship Rock. The first 2 weeks will be singles, then 3 weeks of random draw doubles, then 2 more weeks of singles. After that, we’ll go back to Akron on Thursdays for the rest of the year. Nothing changes on Tuesdays; it will still be handicap singles at Buchmiller. Click the schedule tab on the left for more info.
We want to make sure everyone knows what’s going on with LAFS, so today and periodically in the future, we will post updates.
We have now sold (as of 5/21) 46 club memberships (tags). We hope to break 50 before the first day of summer.
The Akron Day in the Park is coming up, June 22-23. Click on the events tab on the right of this page for details. The Red Rose Round Up will be the next major LAFS event. It will be July 13-14 and cover all four Lancaster courses. Players will be able to sign up for either day alone, or for both. Daily and overall prizes will be awarded. We’ll have more info soon.
Roland Park needs weed whacked pretty bad. If anyone is available to volunteer, please contact us here or talk to Bill in person. We have a month to make it pretty for the Day in the Park.
Here’s a quick rundown of where our money has gone so far this year:
- We donated a basket to the new course in Lebanon, at South Hills Park. It’s a beautiful course on a great property. Check it out.
- We also made a donation to the 9-hole course that will be put in at Sam Lewis State Park, near Wrightsville.
- We sponsored both the Buchmiller Super Thriller and the Downhaul Doubles tournaments.
- We have spent over $200 so far on supplies to maintain the courses.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask Bill or Jon. Thanks for your support!
Registration/check-in - 7:30-9:00am
Players Meeting - 9:15am
Tee Time - 9:45am
Lunch (Provided!) - 1 hour from last card
2nd Round - TBA
$40/team : $20/person
Divisions: Open, Men’s intermediate, Men’s recreational, Women’s intermediate, Mixed intermediate.
Hole 3 CTP
Hole 11 CTP
2 rounds of ‘Ring of Fire’
LAFS has a Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lancaster-Area-Frisbee-Sports/138600026306705?ref=hl) as well as a group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/LAFS1/) now. So like the page and join the group to stay up-to-date on the latest LAFS info.
The 2013 LAFS season kicked off this week with doubles Tuesday and Thursday at Buchmiller. Jerry and Ben took the win Tuesday with a -12, then Jimmy and Sam put up a -14 for the win on Thursday.
The regular schedule begins on Tuesday 4/9 with the first Handicapped singles event at Buchmiller ($5). Thursday will be tags at Roland ($1). Remember, non-tag members are welcome to come out as well. Thursday night rounds will be PDGA-sanctioned again this season. That will cost $1 extra for those who wish to participate.
In other news, LAFS will be having a Sub Sale this spring to raise some funds for course maintenance. If you are willing to help out by selling some tasty sandwiches to your friends, family, and coworkers, pick up an order form at any LAFS event. Orders are due (with money upfront) by Tuesday 4/30 and subs will be delivered Tuesday 5/7 at Buchmiller (so you can take them home after the round).
LAFS had our first meeting of 2013 last night at The Fridge in Lancaster. There was a lot of discussion on many topics. Here’s a summary.
- There will be a bring-your-own-partner doubles tournament at Ship Rock DGC on May 18. Mark the date on your calendars. There will be more information coming soon.
- Bill will be running some Wednesday handicap events at Jackson Park in Meyerstown this season. They will be every 3-4 weeks. Again, more information will be coming soon.
- The club decided to allow anyone to sell discs on the Lancaster courses. We are asking for a $1 per disc donation to the club for sales made at Lancaster courses or LAFS events.
- There was some discussion on the upcoming PDGA events here in the County. It was mentioned that the tournament director is allowed by the PDGA to keep 10% of the entry fees.
- Linc Morgan talked about his new venture, Loud Mouth Disc Sports. He will be running events and selling discs & merchandise. The first major Loud Mouth event will be The Buchmiller Super Thriller (BST) on May 11, which will be sponsored by LAFS. The club will provide some funds and volunteers.
- The BST was discussed in more detail. Linc will be looking for 5 volunteers to be spotters for the tournament. Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Linc. French Creek has been added as a sponsor also. Trying to “level” some of the baskets at Buchmiller before the event was also discussed.
- The topic of an organizing structure for the club was discussed in depth. The decision was made to move forward in coming up with ideas for how to organize, what officers/positions will be needed, what those people will be responsible for, and how the election process will work. The goal would be to institute the new system after this season. A discussion on ideas should be started in the Facebook group immediately.
- The question of what to do about the vandalism at Roland was tackled. Bill is planning on reinforcing the signs that have been damaged. Logan also committed to working on making the signs vandal-proof. The goal is to have all signs up before the Akron Day in the Park (June 22).
- Nate let everyone know that the Tuesday night putting club will continue until the start of the year.
- Lehiegh Valley Sports in Lititz was mentioned as a possible sponsor. Darrell is going to investigate.
- Ky volunteered to take the lead on a Sub Sale to raise funds for the club. She has someone she has worked with before on sub sales and will get all the information together so we can pass out order forms and begin selling in April. Forms will be available at Tuesday/Thursday events. We will be asking for all the help we can get to sell, and will need a few volunteers to help organize on pick-up day. Pick-up will most likely take place at one of the courses on a particular evening. We may time it so players at the BST can order a sub for lunch at the event. We would need a volunteer to handle that.
- Kurt brought a few logo ideas. The group gave him some feedback. He is going to have the logos “tweaked” based on our input and then post some options on the Facebook page so we can vote on an official club logo. If anyone else has a design they would like to include, contact Kurt.
- We will put our new logo to use right away. Kurt will be getting everything ready for LAFS shirts. They will be the “dri-fit” type. We will offer preorders so everyone can get the size/color they want and also get a few extras to sell. Jon will be getting LAFS towels. We may do both microfiber and cotton depending on the costs. If we have to go with only one, it will be microfiber based on the results of the Facebook voting. Towels will be available for sale at club events and may be included in the players pack at the Day in the Park tournament.
- It was decided that we will look into a new type of bag tag for 2014.
- Kurt mentioned Money Rocks County Park as a potential location for a new course.
- We talked about getting new locks for the baskets at Buchmiller so we can move them around again. Cost is the main issue holding that up for now.
- Jon volunteered to create a LAFS Facebook page to use in addition to the LAFS Group. Anyone who has things to post from the club will be able to use the page to do so. Announcements, updates, results, and event invites will be posted through this page.
If you would like to volunteer for any of the tasks mentioned above, please contact us through the Web site or talk to the person mentioned in the bullet point. Thank you to everyone who attended and to The Fridge for hosting us.