Registration is open for the fifth annual Akron Day in the Park.
June 22-23, 2013 at Roland Park
100% payout + $500 added cash to pro purse
June 22 - All Amateur Divisions Except MA1
June 23 - All Pro Divisions + MA1
2 Rounds of 18
Pro - $55 Advanced - $50 Intermediate - $40 Rec - $30
Schedule for both days:
Check-in: 7:30-8:45 AM
Players Meeting : 9:00 AM
Round 1 : 9:15AM
Round 2 : 1 hour after last card
The Akron Volunteer Fire Company will be offering lunch at the course. The CFR Fundraiser Discs we are selling benefit the Akron Volunteer fire company.
Preregister with Bill or Darrell, or online at: http://www.discgolfunited.com/disc-golf-tournaments/tournament-dashboard.cfm/tourn_id/803
Registration/check-in - 7:30-9:00am
Players Meeting - 9:15am
Tee Time - 9:45am
Lunch (Provided!) - 1 hour from last card
2nd Round - TBA
$40/team : $20/person
Divisions: Open, Men’s intermediate, Men’s recreational, Women’s intermediate, Mixed intermediate.
Hole 3 CTP
Hole 11 CTP
2 rounds of ‘Ring of Fire’
LAFS has a Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lancaster-Area-Frisbee-Sports/138600026306705?ref=hl) as well as a group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/LAFS1/) now. So like the page and join the group to stay up-to-date on the latest LAFS info.
The 2013 LAFS season kicked off this week with doubles Tuesday and Thursday at Buchmiller. Jerry and Ben took the win Tuesday with a -12, then Jimmy and Sam put up a -14 for the win on Thursday.
The regular schedule begins on Tuesday 4/9 with the first Handicapped singles event at Buchmiller ($5). Thursday will be tags at Roland ($1). Remember, non-tag members are welcome to come out as well. Thursday night rounds will be PDGA-sanctioned again this season. That will cost $1 extra for those who wish to participate.
In other news, LAFS will be having a Sub Sale this spring to raise some funds for course maintenance. If you are willing to help out by selling some tasty sandwiches to your friends, family, and coworkers, pick up an order form at any LAFS event. Orders are due (with money upfront) by Tuesday 4/30 and subs will be delivered Tuesday 5/7 at Buchmiller (so you can take them home after the round).
LAFS had our first meeting of 2013 last night at The Fridge in Lancaster. There was a lot of discussion on many topics. Here’s a summary.
- There will be a bring-your-own-partner doubles tournament at Ship Rock DGC on May 18. Mark the date on your calendars. There will be more information coming soon.
- Bill will be running some Wednesday handicap events at Jackson Park in Meyerstown this season. They will be every 3-4 weeks. Again, more information will be coming soon.
- The club decided to allow anyone to sell discs on the Lancaster courses. We are asking for a $1 per disc donation to the club for sales made at Lancaster courses or LAFS events.
- There was some discussion on the upcoming PDGA events here in the County. It was mentioned that the tournament director is allowed by the PDGA to keep 10% of the entry fees.
- Linc Morgan talked about his new venture, Loud Mouth Disc Sports. He will be running events and selling discs & merchandise. The first major Loud Mouth event will be The Buchmiller Super Thriller (BST) on May 11, which will be sponsored by LAFS. The club will provide some funds and volunteers.
- The BST was discussed in more detail. Linc will be looking for 5 volunteers to be spotters for the tournament. Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Linc. French Creek has been added as a sponsor also. Trying to “level” some of the baskets at Buchmiller before the event was also discussed.
- The topic of an organizing structure for the club was discussed in depth. The decision was made to move forward in coming up with ideas for how to organize, what officers/positions will be needed, what those people will be responsible for, and how the election process will work. The goal would be to institute the new system after this season. A discussion on ideas should be started in the Facebook group immediately.
- The question of what to do about the vandalism at Roland was tackled. Bill is planning on reinforcing the signs that have been damaged. Logan also committed to working on making the signs vandal-proof. The goal is to have all signs up before the Akron Day in the Park (June 22).
- Nate let everyone know that the Tuesday night putting club will continue until the start of the year.
- Lehiegh Valley Sports in Lititz was mentioned as a possible sponsor. Darrell is going to investigate.
- Ky volunteered to take the lead on a Sub Sale to raise funds for the club. She has someone she has worked with before on sub sales and will get all the information together so we can pass out order forms and begin selling in April. Forms will be available at Tuesday/Thursday events. We will be asking for all the help we can get to sell, and will need a few volunteers to help organize on pick-up day. Pick-up will most likely take place at one of the courses on a particular evening. We may time it so players at the BST can order a sub for lunch at the event. We would need a volunteer to handle that.
- Kurt brought a few logo ideas. The group gave him some feedback. He is going to have the logos “tweaked” based on our input and then post some options on the Facebook page so we can vote on an official club logo. If anyone else has a design they would like to include, contact Kurt.
- We will put our new logo to use right away. Kurt will be getting everything ready for LAFS shirts. They will be the “dri-fit” type. We will offer preorders so everyone can get the size/color they want and also get a few extras to sell. Jon will be getting LAFS towels. We may do both microfiber and cotton depending on the costs. If we have to go with only one, it will be microfiber based on the results of the Facebook voting. Towels will be available for sale at club events and may be included in the players pack at the Day in the Park tournament.
- It was decided that we will look into a new type of bag tag for 2014.
- Kurt mentioned Money Rocks County Park as a potential location for a new course.
- We talked about getting new locks for the baskets at Buchmiller so we can move them around again. Cost is the main issue holding that up for now.
- Jon volunteered to create a LAFS Facebook page to use in addition to the LAFS Group. Anyone who has things to post from the club will be able to use the page to do so. Announcements, updates, results, and event invites will be posted through this page.
If you would like to volunteer for any of the tasks mentioned above, please contact us through the Web site or talk to the person mentioned in the bullet point. Thank you to everyone who attended and to The Fridge for hosting us.
We have scheduled our next club meeting. All members are invited. It will be held Sunday, February 10 at 6:00 pm at The Fridge. The Fridge is located at 534 N Mulberry Street, Lancaster, about 200 feet south of Harrisburg Pike.
If anyone has a specific item they would like added to the agenda, please contact us on this page or speak to Bill.
Join the club!
Become a member of LAFS for 2013. Membership is $15 for the year.
You will get:
- entered into the year-long Tag competition with a chance to win the traveling trophy;
- discounts on discs and equipment sold by the club;
- a say in club decisions.
All proceeds benefit LAFS and the disc golf courses we maintain.
To join, show up at a LAFS event or league night and ask. It’s that easy. You may also contact us here or speak to Bill on the course. He’s the guy with all the discs at the pavilion.
Congratulations to Linc and Jay for taking 1st place in the New Year’s Day Nightmare! Full results will be posted soon.
Ring in 2013 with some disc golf -
The 2013 New Year’s Day Nightmare
January 1, 2013 - 12:00 p.m.
Roland Park, Akron, PA
$30 per team
Layout: 1-18 short tees to short baskets
Then, optional final 9 - 19-27.
There will be a break for prizes after the first 18, then any teams that wish to stay for the final 9 will compete for a special “BIG” prize.
Register day of event by 11:45.
Even though there are still a lot of details to work out, we wanted to give everybody a general idea of what’s coming for 2013. So…
Leagues - Looks like we’re going to be at Buchmiller every Tuesday during the season. Thursdays will be at Akron (PDGA-sanctioned) for most of the year, with a 7-week break around the summer solstice when we will play at Shiprock. A full schedule will be posted long before opening day.
Big Events - There will (tentatively) be 5 major events in the LAFS area. In May we’re planning a pro/advanced only PDGA at Buchmiller, using USDGC out-of-bounds rules. A special OB layout will be created. The Akron Open (PDGA) will be in late June. It will likely be two days - one day for ams and one for pros. In July, we are looking at an epic 2-day, 4-course showdown. Each of the four Lancaster courses will be included (Buch, Shiprock, Roland, and Overlook). This tourney will have daily and overall prizes. In August, Mr. Disc Golf will return to Lancaster for the 3rd Annual Route 222 Throwdown, Southpaw Edition. This year, it will be a Buchmiller/Shiprock crosstown. In September, get ready to go back to Conrad Weiser for Mike Dunkle and friend’s 33rd? annual tourney.
All this activity means we’re going to need a lot of help from our members. One of the great things about disc golf is the price ($0 for greens fees). That means it’s up to us to maintain the courses. If you’re willing to lend a hand with mowing, weed whacking, etc, contact Bill Geibel or check out our Facebook page for updates on when we need manpower. It also makes a HUGE difference if everyone picks up downed sticks from the fairway and tosses them off to the side. It makes weed whacking a lot easier.
We’ll keep you up to date this off-season on what’s coming next year so we can make 2013 the biggest LAFS year yet!