We held our annual winter meeting on Sunday and made some progress on numerous fronts.
- First off, LAFS took a big step towards becoming a more organized club by creating a Club Council. The five-member Council will meet throughout the year to discuss and vote on club matters.The Council for 2014 will be made up of Bill Geibel, Linc Morgan, Jon McDowell, Jerry Dyson, and Kurt Demarra. We plan to have a method in place by the end of the year to choose representatives for 2015. Anyone who may like to serve next year should speak to a current council member so we can gauge the level of interest and put together a system for voting. The five Council members are meant to represent the Club, so we encourage any and all LAFS members to bring their concerns, comments, and questions to any of the five.
- Jon McDowell was named Treasurer. He will be responsible for club funds and will track all incoming and outgoing transactions. Any member who is interested in the financial side of things should feel free to speak with Jon. He will be able to tell you how much money we are bringing in and where it’s going. He hopes to increase transparency so that everyone knows where the money goes and all concerns are considered.
- Speaking of money…the club currently has $915 in the checking account and $400 in the ace pots (we have an ace pot for each of the four courses).
- Stats! We had 54 members in 2013, up from 46 in 2012. That’s a 17% increase! We also had a total of 950 non-unique players at all 2013 LAFS events. We already have 25 members signed up for this year.
- We spent a good amount of time discussing this growth and how to handle future growth. Kevin and Brian, who were both new to LAFS last year, offered us some insight on what it’s like for a new guy and ways we may be able to get better at welcoming the newcomers. We discussed using a charity event to raise awareness of the club and draw new people. We are also looking for volunteers who would be willing to take an active role at club events by playing in groups with newbies and acting as a kind of “guide” - explaining how we do things, offering tips on the rules and etiquette of organized play, and making them feel welcome.
- On the business side, we established guidelines for anyone who wishes to run events on LAFS courses. This includes, but is not limited to, Bill and Linc. Out of every entry fee, $1 will be set aside for the club. Half of that will go to the park, half to the club to pay for course maintenance. Additionally, $1 from every disc sold or given away as a prize will go to the club. Anyone wishing to hold an event in Lancaster can get the club’s support, but will have to comply with this rule. Speak to one of the Council members if you wish to host an event or series.
- The weekly schedule and all confirmed tournaments have been posted on this site - click on the appropriate link to see details.
There were a lot of other good conversations and there will be more to work on as time goes on. Thanks to everyone who came and offered their ideas and support!
LAFS Annual Club meeting will be held Sunday, February 23rd at The Fridge in Lancaster. Please be there by 7:45pm for an 8pm sharp start time. The Fridge (a LAFS sponsor) closes at 8pm but is allowing us to hold our meeting there after-hours. All members (or prospective members) are invited.
It’s that time once again for:
The 33rd Annual Conrad Weiser Open
Disc Golf Tournament
Grab your discs and wash off those Wham-o’s, It’s time to rattle the chains with Conrad Weiser and smoke the piece pipe with Chief Shikellemy! On Saturday, September 21st 2013, the 33rd Conrad Weiser Open will be held rain or shine. The format will be two rounds of championship disc golf with the baskets in the short position the first round, and in the harder long position the 2nd round. There are 9 CTP’s and the ace pot included in your entry fee.
Sign ups are from 8 to 9:30am. Players meeting at 9:45 and teeing off at 10am.
Last years Champions,(Open: Justin Seersma, Masters: Bill Geibel, Grand Masters: Chas Ford, Advanced: Josh Mertz, Armature: Jon Hurst, and Women’s: Ky Stoebenau)will take on all challengers in this highly coveted event. Open, Masters, and Women’s divisions have a traveling trophy that the champion gets to have his name put on and keep for the entire year until they have to come back and defend it! The open trophy has names going all the way back to 1980.
Open Division is $30, all other divisions are $25. Open division plays for cash prizes and trophy. All other divisions play for prizes and trophies. Miller brewing Co. has again sponsored the tournament with some awesome prizes for our CTP’s and our ace pot. Bill Geibel will have disc golf merchandise for sale all day.
The Conrad Weiser Historical Park course is only set up for one day per year! Being a Historical park and designed by a famous landscape architect, a permanent course is not permitted. However, we have been playing this same beautiful park course for 33 years now! Come out and experience the tradition of this magnificent course that will test your skills!
The last 3 years this tournament has filled up, so if you plan on coming to this event either e-mail or call me with your name and division to be put on a list. I will post on the Conrad Weiser Homestead wants disc golf face book page the list of sign-ups and let everyone know how many spots are available.
Come and hang out with Chief Shikellemy and experience the tradition that this tournament has to offer!
Questions or to sign up: Mike Dunkle
Sunday, August 18, 2013
Tentative schedule for the day is:
Sign up at Buchmiller - 8-9
Round 1 at Buch
Round 2 at Ship Rock
If more than 72 players preregister, the field will be split with half the players starting at Ship Rock. If not, we’ll all travel together.
Pro Men - $45
Other Pros - $40
Advanced and Intermediate Ams - $35
All other Ams $30
($10 extra if you’re not a PDGA member)
This event will be run by Mr. Disc Golf, Mike Solt.
Registration is open for the fifth annual Akron Day in the Park.
June 22-23, 2013 at Roland Park
100% payout + $500 added cash to pro purse
June 22 - All Amateur Divisions Except MA1
June 23 - All Pro Divisions + MA1
2 Rounds of 18
Pro - $55 Advanced - $50 Intermediate - $40 Rec - $30
Schedule for both days:
Check-in: 7:30-8:45 AM
Players Meeting : 9:00 AM
Round 1 : 9:15AM
Round 2 : 1 hour after last card
The Akron Volunteer Fire Company will be offering lunch at the course. The CFR Fundraiser Discs we are selling benefit the Akron Volunteer fire company.
Preregister with Bill or Darrell, or online at: http://www.discgolfunited.com/disc-golf-tournaments/tournament-dashboard.cfm/tourn_id/803
On Thursdays from June 7 through July 18, we will hold our league night at Ship Rock. The first 2 weeks will be singles, then 3 weeks of random draw doubles, then 2 more weeks of singles. After that, we’ll go back to Akron on Thursdays for the rest of the year. Nothing changes on Tuesdays; it will still be handicap singles at Buchmiller. Click the schedule tab on the left for more info.
We want to make sure everyone knows what’s going on with LAFS, so today and periodically in the future, we will post updates.
We have now sold (as of 5/21) 46 club memberships (tags). We hope to break 50 before the first day of summer.
The Akron Day in the Park is coming up, June 22-23. Click on the events tab on the right of this page for details. The Red Rose Round Up will be the next major LAFS event. It will be July 13-14 and cover all four Lancaster courses. Players will be able to sign up for either day alone, or for both. Daily and overall prizes will be awarded. We’ll have more info soon.
Roland Park needs weed whacked pretty bad. If anyone is available to volunteer, please contact us here or talk to Bill in person. We have a month to make it pretty for the Day in the Park.
Here’s a quick rundown of where our money has gone so far this year:
- We donated a basket to the new course in Lebanon, at South Hills Park. It’s a beautiful course on a great property. Check it out.
- We also made a donation to the 9-hole course that will be put in at Sam Lewis State Park, near Wrightsville.
- We sponsored both the Buchmiller Super Thriller and the Downhaul Doubles tournaments.
- We have spent over $200 so far on supplies to maintain the courses.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask Bill or Jon. Thanks for your support!
Registration/check-in - 7:30-9:00am
Players Meeting - 9:15am
Tee Time - 9:45am
Lunch (Provided!) - 1 hour from last card
2nd Round - TBA
$40/team : $20/person
Divisions: Open, Men’s intermediate, Men’s recreational, Women’s intermediate, Mixed intermediate.
Hole 3 CTP
Hole 11 CTP
2 rounds of ‘Ring of Fire’